Vision to Goal Setting
What is our Vision for Learning?
Through the combined efforts of students, staff, parents, and community, our mission at Dorothy Lynas is to
- develop independent, engaged, and confident learners
- promote creative and critical thinkers
- celebrate the diversity of our students and their families
- support the social and emotional growth of all students
as part of their journey to becoming responsible global citizens and life-long learners.
We are committed to nurturing our relationship with Dorothy Lynas Families. We continue to be partners as we provide all students with the academic and social-emotional learning required to support their growth and development. To continue to develop studentsâ independence as learners and citizens of our community we will be implementing the Second Step Program school-wide in September 2020. We will then further explore how we celebrate and support our diverse students and families.
Planning & Implementation
What is our Action Plan?
Goal: To develop students’ independence as learners and citizens of our community
Facet 1 – Develop Social-Emotional Literacy
Objective: To develop students’ ability to understand and manage emotions
- Implement research based Second Step Program K-7 to develop students’ self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision-making, relationship skills and social-awareness.
- Implementation will be multi-faceted and encompass students, families and staff. Effective, regular communication to support strong home-school partnership and shared understanding.
- Direct teaching of Dragon Code and school expectations
- Revitalize Dragon Tales program used to reinforce expected behaviour
- Provide resources and furniture to support students’ self-awareness and self-management
- Model expected behaviour, language and skills (Dragon Code and Second Step Program)
Facet 2: Supporting Learning Diversity will be fully developed Fall 2020
Monitor Evaluate & Adapt
What are our Indicators of Progress?
Indicators of Progress:
- MS Forms
- Qualitative data from students, staff and parents
- Quantitative data regarding problem-solving (e.g. office referrals)
How do we Communicate our Progress?
Goals, strategies and progress will, communicated and re-evaluated on an on-going basis. This will include:
- Regular communication via Principal’s Update regarding Second Step area of focus at school level and progress
- Regular communication from classroom teachers to families regarding Second Step implementation (e.g. weekly focus and language) and student progress
- Teachers provide regular and feedback to students regarding progress
- Standing item on monthly staff meeting agenda with learning and activities led by Second Step Staff team
Latest Progress & Updates
The Dorothy Lynas School Plan was revised in the Spring of 2020 with implementation for September 2020.