Vision to Goal Setting
What is our Vision for Learning?
Through the combined efforts of students, staff, parents, and community, our mission at Dorothy Lynas is to:
- Foster a Welcoming and Inclusive Culture (Well-Being)Â
- Innovative InstructionÂ
Planning & Implementation
What is our Action Plan?
Goal: To develop a welcoming and inclusive cultureÂ
Facet 1 – Develop Social-Emotional Literacy for the Learning CommunityÂ
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Championing respect, restorative practices and open dialogue among students and staffÂ
Objective: To increase sense of belonging for all stakeholders
- Targeted staff workshop(s) equity, diversity and inclusionÂ
- Application into field trips, assemblies, gatherings, student representation
- School Administration restorative approaches to Code of ConductÂ
- Formulation of our stakeholder (student, parent, school) planning team- Diversity , Equity and InclusionÂ
- Implement research based Second Step Program K-7 to develop students’ self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision-making, relationship skills and social-awareness
- Implementation will be multi-faceted and encompass students, families and staff. Effective, regular communication to support strong home-school partnership and shared understanding
- Provide resources and furniture to support students’ self-awareness and self-management
- Flexibility within the learning space/classroom (adapting to student need)Â
Facet 2: To facilitate Innovative Instruction to support engagement and sense of belongingÂ
Monitor Evaluate & Adapt
What are our Indicators of Progress?
Indicators of Progress:
- MS Forms
- Qualitative data from students, staff and parents
- School Leadership groups – student focus, anecdotesÂ
- Quantitative data regarding problem-solving (e.g. office referrals)
How do we Communicate our Progress?
Goals, strategies and progress will, communicated and re-evaluated on an on-going basis. This will include:
- Regular communication via Principal’s Update regarding Communique area of focus at school level and progress
- Regular communication from classroom teachers to families regarding Second Step implementation (e.g. weekly focus and language) and student progress
- Teachers to share and ensure adaptations and access for all learners for field trips, gatherings etc.
- Standing item on monthly staff meeting agenda with learning and activities led by Second Step Staff team lead – Dana MillarÂ
Latest Progress & Updates
The Dorothy Lynas School Plan was revised in the Spring of 2022 with the continued process of planning to continue this Fall. We will begin the 2022-2023 School Year with a parent survey in the October Communique as discussed at school planning in May. Student survey for our grade 3 and grade 6 learners to be share in November.Â